PlanetSide 2 is a free-to-play massively multiplayer online first-person shooter developed and published by Sony Online Entertainment, which released in November 2012. It is a sequel of PlanetSide, which originally released in 2003.
PlanetSide 2 is an all-out planetary war, where thousands of players battle as one across enormous continents. Utilize infantry, ground and air vehicles, and teamwork to destroy your enemies in this revolutionary first-person shooter on a massive scale.
ABOUT THIS GAME
PlanetSide 2 is a free-to-play, massively multiplayer online first person shooter (MMOFPS).
Empires and their soldiers battle in an all-out planetary war on a scale never before seen, in stunning, breathtaking detail. PlanetSide 2 battles persist and the war never ends, offering constant challenges of individual skill, team grit, and empire-wide coordination. Take up arms and drop into intense infantry, vehicle, and air combat.
Players come together in enormous battles across four massive continents to win control of critical territories, gaining key resources for their empire. With an extensive skill tree and class-based system, players can customize their soldier, weapons, and vehicles to match their playstyle and meet the needs of their squads, outfits, and empires. In the world of PlanetSide 2, every soldier makes a difference.
- THREE WARRING EMPIRES: Players will choose to align with one of three empires: the militaristic, authoritarian Terran Republic; the rebellious, freedom-fighting New Conglomerate; or the technocratic, alien-influenced Vanu Sovereignty. Each empire has access to empire-specific weapons, attachments, vehicles, abilities, and more.
- MASSIVE WARFARE: Battles take place not between dozens of soldiers, but between hundreds. They fight on foot. They pile into vehicles. They take to the skies in devastating aircraft. Each battleground holds valuable resources and strategic positions, and the empire that can conquer and hold these territories will be rewarded with the resources and the means to achieve victory.
- ENORMOUS MAPS: PlanetSide 2 features four incredible and diverse continent maps with dozens of square kilometers of seamless gameplay space, every inch of which is hand-crafted and contestable. Whether in open fields, barren desert, in armed and armored bases, or in the skies, victory will rely on knowing your surroundings.
- PERSISTENCE THAT PAYS: In PlanetSide 2 the war isn’t won by a single base capture. The core gameplay of PlanetSide 2 is about holding crucial territories and controlling resources. Working strategically as a team to secure tactical positions has long-lasting effects that can shift the tide of battle.
- CLASS-BASED COMBAT: Players can build their soldier to match wants and their allies’ needs. Six distinct classes provide a wealth of squad options and combat tactics. Grow your soldier over time as you master each combat role, weapon, and vehicle, laterally unlocking hundreds of weapons, attachments, gear, skills, vehicles, and more.
Heavy Assault: Rush into the battle guns blazing. You are the dedicated foot soldier of Auraxis.
Light Assault: Go where the Heavies can’t with your short-burst jetpack. Pick a high spot, throw a grenade, and out maneuver your foes!
Combat Medic: Keep your fellow soldiers alive and in fighting shape. You are the beating heart of any squad.
Infiltrator: Stay silent. Stay invisible. You are death from the shadows, whether with a knife from behind or a single shot from a sniper’s nest. You are the enemy’s constant fear.
Engineer: Deploy crucial equipment. Resupply your allies. Fix the thing, then fix it again. You keep the machines running, the tanks firing, and the war effort moving forward.
MAX: Step into your Mechanized Assault Exo-Suit (MAX). Cannons for hands, armor for flesh, and a disposition to match, you are a walking mass of nigh unstoppable death.
- OUTFIT TEAMWORK: Join or form your own Outfit, a like-minded group of soldiers who train together day in and day out. Whether a small rapid response team or a massive clan, Outfits are vital to each empire’s strategic organization.
- VEHICLES & WEAPONS: Train and equip your solider how you want, with a huge array of weapons and vehicles which can be extensively customized by preference or purpose, using attachments, upgrades, and add-ons earned in the war.
- PLAY FOR FREE: PlanetSide 2 is free to play with optional in-game purchases.
- Initial release date: November 20, 2012
- Engine: Forgelight Engine
- Mode(s): Multiplayer
- Composer(s): Jeff Broadbent; Don Ferrone
- Developers: Daybreak Game Company, Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Platforms: PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows