Heroes of the Storm is a multiplayer online battle arena video game developed and published by Blizzard Entertainment for Microsoft Windows and macOS, which released on June 2, 2015. The game features heroes from Blizzard’s franchises including Warcraft, Diablo, StarCraft, The Lost Vikings, and Overwatch.
“This guide was crafted for players who are new to Heroes of the Storm and want to learn more. Even if you are familiar with other games of this type, you might still want to peruse this guide. There are more than a few ways in which Heroes of the Storm does not play by traditional genre rules.”
Before you do anything else, download the game and play the tutorial. It’s fun, it’s free, and it’ll teach you the foundations of Heroes of the Storm better than any webpage ever could. But once you’re done, come back and learn about all the things the tutorial doesn’t cover.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW AFTER PLAYING THE TUTORIAL
- Movement: Getting your hero from A to B should be second nature.
- Abilities: Slinging spells and using skills, easy as pie.
- Combat: Health bars, attacking enemies, healing, and when to tuck tail and run.
- Death: It’s just a flesh wound!
- Minions: Enthusiastic, single-minded, team-oriented. Also, great cannon fodder.
- Forts: Hurt like hell; make sure you have some minions with you.
- Leveling: Gather XP, level up, become stronger.
- Mercenaries: Defeat them at their camp to gain their service.
- Cores: You lose your core, you lose the game.
- Hearthstone: Press “B” to teleport back to your base. (Cards? What cards?)
- Mount Up: Press “Z” to summon your mount and move faster.
Those are the basics of Heroes of the Storm. Enough to play and have fun, but a far cry from complete mastery of the game. What’s that? You’d like to master the Storm? Well, we can certainly assist you with that. Like we said: we’re here to help.
You can play alone, randomly matched players, or with your friends; you can play against the computer or other human beings; you can play ranked or just for fun… The point is, there are a LOT of ways to play. This page will help you sort it all out.
- Initial release date: June 2, 2015
- Genre: Multiplayer online battle arena
- Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
- Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, Macintosh operating systems
- Designers: Blizzard Entertainment, Travis McGeathy